Alder Creek is a little town half way between Sandy and Welches Oregon on today’s Highway 26.
Category: Mt Hood Loop Highway
The Brightwood Museum and Novelty Shop
The Brightwood Museum and Novelty Shop. Many locals who remember this place in its heyday still call this the Snake Pit. In its lifetime it was several things, including a church and a home. The building was constructed by renowned Mount Hood cabin builder Henry Steiner as a roadside tourist souvenir shop along the way to Mount Hood. This was his last log structure project. At one point it was even a reptile garden.
Back before cars were developed into the high speed vehicles of today, and Highway 26 was blasted into straight line four lane route that allowed everyone to move at speeds in excess of 55 miles per hour, a trip to Mount Hood was more of an easier pace. Post World War II was a time when families took to the highways on days off and vacations to camp and to recreate. The tourist industry was a big deal, with roadhouses and unique roadside attractions. Many people called these places “tourist traps”.
In our area here on the south side of Mount Hood there were several businesses that provided both lodging and meals. A couple of the tourist traps that were here, included this business, the Brightwood Museum and Novelty Shop, the Swiss Gardens and the Mt Hood Indian Pageant.
This old building is a cultural treasure to our area but sadly it’s falling into ruins. You can still see this old structure at the intersection of Bridge Street and Brightwood Loop Road in the parking lot of the Brightwood store.
Rhododendron Oregon Centennial and History
100 Years of Rhododendron Oregon and Mount Hood Tourism
I produced a video to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the little Mount Hood village of Rhododendron Oregon. It’s a collection that consists of photos that I’ve collected through the years and have added to my collection. There are a couple that are in the video that are copies of photos from the Welch Family as well as the family of Dr Ivan Wooley.
Uncle Sam Welch’s Ranch in Welches Oregon
From Homestead to Tourist Destination
The Beginnings of Welches
The history of the Welch’s Ranch in Welches Oregon begins in 1882. Before Welches became a popular destination, it was simply a family homestead ranch. Samuel Welch, an emigrant from Virginia, settled in the valley that year. Later, his son William “Billy” Welch and Edward Kopper, Billy’s first wife’s father, also homesteaded in the valley in 1889.
Establishing the Welch Ranch
Samuel and Billy Welch homesteaded adjoining 160-acre sections of the Salmon River Valley, located on the southwestern foothills of Mount Hood. Samuel’s homestead deed, signed by President Benjamin Harrison, was recorded in the Clackamas County Courthouse in 1893. Similarly, Billy’s deed, signed by President William McKinley, was recorded in 1898.
Over time, they expanded their holdings, acquiring nearly 1,000 acres that stretched from Walkley’s homestead in the south to “Dutch Fred’s” homestead in the north (near present-day Fairway Avenue). Their land also extended up the slopes of Hunchback Mountain to the east and Huckleberry Mountain to the west.
A Thriving Ranch and Early Tourism
The Welch Ranch was a fully operational farm with pastures, barns, and corrals for livestock, including dairy cows, beef cattle, sheep, and pigs. In addition, the family maintained an apple orchard, a large vegetable garden, and had access to abundant fish in the river and wildlife in the surrounding hills. A blacksmith shop and stables further supported the ranch operations.
As travel increased, the ranch became a stop for stagecoaches and later, motorized coaches en route to Mount Hood. Eventually, summer tourists began camping in the valley, taking advantage of its natural beauty.
Transition to a Resort
After Samuel’s death in 1889, Billy took over the ranch. Sadly, his first wife, Mamie Kopper Welch, passed away in 1902. By 1905, Clinton Kern and a Mr. Wren leased the property and opened a hotel resort, operating it until 1909. As part of the resort’s development, a large dining hall was built near the Salmon River to accommodate guests.
To replace the old dance hall, Billy expanded his store, adding a pool room and a second-story dance hall. Notably, the hall featured an east-facing balcony where dancers could cool off while enjoying views of Hunchback Mountain.
Community and Entertainment
In 1911, Billy married Jennie Faubion. Together, they managed the resort, store, post office, and dance hall. Meanwhile, the Welches Post Office had been established in 1905, with Billy serving as postmaster until 1940. Afterward, Jennie continued in the role until her retirement in 1960. Eventually, the post office moved to Wemme before returning to Welches.
The local community often gathered for bonfires, taffy pulls, and marshmallow roasts. Children collected wood for towering bonfires while families sang folk songs like “Ninety-Nine Blue Bottles.” Moreover, talented storytellers entertained crowds late into the night.
Saturday night dances were a highlight, drawing nearly everyone in town. Parents brought blankets for their children, who slept in the hall’s corners while lively fiddle music filled the air. Typically, Billy Welch and other local musicians played old-time tunes as dancers whirled through two-steps, schottisches, and waltzes.
Growth of Tourism
By 1910, Welches had become a sought-after summer destination. In addition to the Welches Hotel, nearby lodges such as Tawney’s Mountain Home, Arrah Wanna Lodge, and the Rhododendron Inn catered to vacationers. To meet increasing demand, Billy expanded the ranch into a full-fledged outdoor resort, adding tent cabins and campgrounds along the Salmon River.
As interest in the area grew, Billy allowed repeat visitors to camp on designated plots. Eventually, he subdivided and sold land for vacation cabins. The Kaderly family built the first vacation cabin south of the hotel by relocating Samuel Welch’s original homestead cabin.
Development of Local Businesses
Around 1885, Samuel Welch sold five acres to John and Mary Roberts of Gresham. Their son, Ed Roberts, worked in the Welches Store before marrying Dora Owens in 1903. Later, in 1913, Ed opened Roberts Country Store near the Welches Hotel, expanding the town’s commercial offerings.
The Welches Golf Course
In 1928, Ralph Waale leased Welch’s pasture and built a nine-hole golf course. He operated it until 1939, when ownership returned to the Welches. Shortly after, Billy and Jennie continued running the course until Billy’s passing in 1942. Over time, it changed hands multiple times before being sold to Eugene Bowman.
The Lasting Legacy of the Welch Ranch’s Ranch in Welches Oregon
Billy Welch played a pivotal role in shaping Welches into a tourist destination. His foresight in converting the ranch into a resort laid the foundation for the town’s growth. Though the original homestead is gone, the legacy of the Welch family endures in the community that still bears their name.
The Welch’s Ranch in Welches Oregon.
CLICK HERE to read more about the development of the Mt Hood Golf Course, Rippling River and the Resort on The Mountain.
Mt Hood Indian Pageant
A lot has come and gone along the old Mt Hood Loop Highway, the name given for the route that started in Portland and followed old Highway 30 along the Historic Columbia River Highway to Hood River then along the present Highway 35 south from Hood River to Government Camp and the back to Portland via Highway 26, the route of the original Barlow Trail and the Mt Hood Highway. Of course it could be travelled in either direction, but either way the route would take one completely around Mount Hood. It’s still a very popular “Sunday drive” for those wanting to get away and see some scenery.
Things have changed through the years – Cars are faster and roads are better. Today one can take the drive and only stop for a quick lunch before they arrive back at home again all within a day, but there once was a time when folks would take the trip on the old Mt hood Loop and take a week long vacation to do it. During those times there were many more stops to be had along the way that were tourist draws such as restaurants, lodges, roadhouses and recreational activities. There were even more camping options back then.
Much of this activity took place prior to World War II but the boom happened soon after the end of the war. Post World War II saw more people able to afford cars and free time and the roads and automobiles were improved. At that time a lot of soldiers were back home from the war and were looking to start a future for them and their families. Some built attractions along the old Loop Highway to try to pull these tourists in and extract some of their money in exchange for entertainment, lodging or meals. One such short lived attraction that sprung up was the Mt Hood Indian Pageant in Brightwood about 15 miles east of Sandy Oregon.
In 1947 one such soldier named Max Gilroy and his wife Virginia had the idea to set up a fort and to recruit Indians to come and setup an encampment and show tourists the ways of the Native American. Max and Virginia were very much interested in Native American history and tradition.
He and his wife Virginia, with help from friends, including Warm Springs Indians that they knew, put all that they had into building the Mt Hood Indian Pageant that included a post constructed Fort Barlow. They advertised “Pageant Performances Daily” and to “Bring your camera”. The fort touted the sale of Indian curios a pioneer restaurant, saddle horse rides and playground and picnic grounds.
There was a grand performance daily where one could observe the Warm Springs Indians as they presented “a view of their aboriginal life prior to the coming of the white man”. During the performance an “Indian brave” would come back to camp, wounded by an enemy tribe spurring the encampment to prepare for war. In time the victorious warrior would “return to camp with prisoner” and a “scalp dance” ensued.
Once peace was restored to the encampment the Indian girls would would dance, a young couple would marry in a ceremony and the chiefs would smoke a peace pipe. Then “with the coming of the white man, the Indians move west in their tragic quest for the freedom they loved so well”. Tourists would watch as if attending a play.
I can’t find evidence that the Mt Hood Indian Pageant lasted more than a season, maybe two. No evidence of the old fort exists today. The location is nothing more than a level piece of land that now contains more modern homes along what is now Brightwood Loop Road, just west of the town of Welches.
If not for a few photographs and postcards, and an advertising flyer or two, this place would be forgotten.
The Wistaria Farm Inn
A Popular Stop on the Mount Hood Loop Highway
The Wistaria Farm Inn, located near Cherryville, Oregon, east of Sandy, was one of many roadhouses along the old Mount Hood Loop Highway (now Highway 26). During the early days of automobile travel, these roadhouses provided food and lodging for travelers exploring the scenic route around Mount Hood.
Back then, a trip around the mountain in a Model T was an adventure. Travelers could spend a week camping or, for those who preferred comfort, staying in one of the many roadhouses along the way.
The Role of Roadhouses
Roadhouses typically offered hot meals, with signs advertising specialties like “Chicken Fried in Butter,” as seen at the Wistaria Farm Inn. Some establishments also provided lodging. To meet demand, places like Billy Welch’s Ranch and the Rhododendron Inn erected wall tents for overnight guests.
The Wistaria Farm Inn, however, focused solely on food. Unlike most inns, it featured an unusual design—an octagonal log structure. The kitchen sat in an attached section at the back, while a large open dining room occupied the main building.
The Story of Earl C. Frost
Earl C. Frost, originally a photographer in Spokane, moved to Seaside, Oregon, in 1912. There, he and his father opened a photography business. In 1917, he enlisted in the 3rd Oregon Infantry as a cook. During his service, he worked as a mess sergeant overseas until his discharge in 1919. After returning to Spokane, he eventually moved his family to Portland and entered the poultry and hatchery business.
In 1926, Frost relocated to an 86-acre farm along the Mount Hood Scenic Highway, about 30 miles east of Portland. Three years later, he built a unique log inn, naming it the “Wistaria Farm Inn.” His restaurant quickly gained a statewide reputation for its signature dish, “Chicken Fried in Butter.”
The Decline of Roadhouses
Over time, improvements to the highway led to increased travel speeds. As a result, drivers could complete the loop around Mount Hood in a single day. This shift made roadhouses less necessary, leading to their decline. The Frost family closed the Wistaria Farm Inn in the fall of 1933 and moved to Los Angeles.
Many former roadhouses were later converted into private homes, including the Wistaria Farm Inn. Though no longer a restaurant, the building still stands today as a residence.
Preserving History
Thanks to the generosity of the current owners, I had the opportunity to tour the old lodge. The once-spacious dining area has been divided into separate rooms, but the building still retains much of its original character.
The Wistaria Farm Inn remains a unique piece of Mount Hood’s history, a reminder of the golden age of roadside travel.
Reliance Mt Hood Stages
Reliance Mt Hood Stages – First Autos to Mount Hood
Reliance Mt Hood Stages – In the early days of the road to Mount Hood, after the immigrant era, the road allowed the burgeoning new city of Portland to access the mountain for recreation. Mountain climbing and hiking the trails in the foothills in those days was the primary activity in the area. Skiing had yet to become an activity on the mountain.
Automobiles were starting to become a practical means of transportation, but was still primitive. Most people didn’t own a car which gave stage companies an opportunity to carry fun seekers to and from the lodges and roadhouses on Mount Hood. This also gave inn keepers an opportunity to host these people because a trip to Mount Hood wasn’t a simple day trip. Many times a trip to The Mountain was a week minimum investment in time.
Lodges such as Arrah Wanna, Welches Ranch, Tawney’s Mountain Home, La Casa Monte, The Rhododendron Tavern and the Government Camp Hotel all sprang up due to a need to recreational lodging.
The flyer below gives a great representation of the mileage, the lodging available and cost of a trip to the mountain.
Those days were primitive and simple and difficult compared to this day and age, but the life that was lived seems much more fun and adventure filled than the way we live today.
Mt Hood By Motor Stage
Mt. Hood – South Side
Reliance Mt Hood Stages
Mountain Division
“The Mt. Hood Line”
10th Season of Reliable Service
Owned and Operated by
Irvington Garage and Auto Co. Inc.
J. L. S. Snead, Pres,-Mgr. Phones: East 0135 East 3410
Tickets, Reservations and Waiting Room at
Stage Depot
Park and Yamhill Streets
Phone Main 8611
Six Horse Mt Hood Area Sightseeing Carriage Photo
Mt Hood Area Sightseeing Carriage – Early Oregon Tourism
Six Horse Mt Hood Area Sightseeing Carriage – SIX-HORSE TEAM AND SIGHT-SEEING CARRIAGE IN MOUNT HOOD AREA IN 1893 –
Before the days of automobiles sight-seers were taken over roads at the base of Mount Hood in equipages such as this. The late E. S. Olinger, known as one of Oregon’s most noted drivers is holding the reins.
This six-horse team pulling its crowded carriage of a summer-Sunday sightseers was photographed in 1893 in the Mt. Hood area. E.S. Olinger, one of top drivers, handled the reins.
Views of Portland Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge
Views of Portland Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge – Antique Postcard Set
20 Assorted Views of Portland Oregon.
Here’s a great assortment of views of Portland Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge circa 1950. They’re printed using an offset printing process on canvas textured paper. Printed by the Angelus Commercial Studio in Portland, Oregon. The cards are the same as the postcards that the company printed but are half the size.
The set, labeled 20 Views of Portland Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge, takes one on a tour from Portland Oregon east through the Columbia River Gorge on the Historic Columbia River Highway to the Hood River Valley and then south on what is now Highway 35 to the south side of Mount Hood and the iconic historic Timberline Lodge.
This very same tour can be taken today via modern cars and improved highways in a day; A very full and satisfying day. The only things that have changed since the era that these cards were made are that the Columbia River Highway, Historic Highway 30 has been replaced with the more modern Highway 84 through the gorge. Also the old Mitchell Point Tunnel was demolished in 1966 during construction of Hwy 84, but there are efforts through the restoration of the old highway to consider restoring the tunnel by boring a new tunnel through Mitchell Point.
All of these Views of Portland Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge are available for your enjoyment today, but these old photos bring back a more bucolic era in the Portland and the Mount Hood countryside. One where tourism was more slow and laid back. One where the trip was about the ride and not the destination. One that allowed us to stop along the way and send a postcard or two.
The Rhododendron Inn
The Rhododendron Inn: A Lost Landmark of Mount Hood
In the early days of travel on the south side of Mount Hood, weary travelers relied on roadhouses and inns for a bed and a meal as they made their way up the old road to the mountain. The roads were rough, and automobiles were slow. Unlike today’s quick hour-long drive from Portland to Mount Hood, early motorists often spent the better part of a day reaching their destination.
As a result, numerous roadhouses, hotels, and restaurants sprang up along the route to serve visitors. In the town of Rhododendron, one of the most well-known stops was the Rhododendron Inn—a mountain retreat that became an essential piece of the area’s history.
The Founding of the Rhododendron Inn
The Rhododendron Inn was built in 1905 by Henry S. Rowe, who served as Portland’s mayor from 1900 to 1902. He chose 160 acres of land he owned in Rhododendron, believing the location to be perfect for a wilderness retreat. To bring his vision to life, he enlisted Lee Holden, Portland’s fire chief during Rowe’s administration. Holden not only designed the inn but also oversaw its construction.
By 1910, Holden took over ownership of the hotel. That same year, the Rowe post office was established at the inn. However, in 1920, the name was changed to Rhododendron, as required by the U.S. Post Office Department.
Emil and Suzette Franzetti: The Inn’s Golden Years
In 1912, Emil and Suzette Franzetti, experienced European hoteliers, purchased the Rhododendron Inn from Holden. Born in Lugano, Switzerland, Emil Franzetti was not only an innkeeper but also a renowned chef whose career took him across Europe, where he trained in some of the finest hotels. His skills became so exceptional that he even cooked for the King of Italy.
Before coming to Mount Hood, Emil had worked as a head chef in top U.S. establishments, including The Quelle in Portland, famous for its crawfish dishes. However, he and Suzette saw an opportunity to transform the Rhododendron Inn into a first-class mountain resort, offering guests an unforgettable experience in the wilderness.
A Premier Mountain Retreat
Under the Franzettis’ leadership, the Rhododendron Inn flourished, attracting visitors seeking both relaxation and adventure. They expanded and modernized the property, introducing a range of new amenities:
- A 60’x100’ dance hall that hosted lively evening entertainment.
- A 50’x100’ spring-fed concrete swimming pool, providing summer recreation.
- Tennis and croquet courts, catering to sports enthusiasts.
- Bridle paths and hiking trails, offering direct access to the surrounding forests.
- An annex across the road, plus several cottages and tent houses, giving guests more lodging options.
Emil’s culinary expertise also became a major draw. He personally caught fresh trout for guests, ensuring that each meal was high-quality and memorable. His dedication to hospitality helped solidify the Rhododendron Inn as one of Oregon’s most celebrated retreats.
Tragedy Strikes: The Death of Emil Franzetti
Despite their success, tragedy struck the Franzetti family. On November 17, 1916, Emil Franzetti was driving near the Zigzag Ranger Station when his car skidded off the road and overturned in soft sand. He was trapped beneath the vehicle for hours before a passing farmer discovered him.
Although rescuers rushed him to St. Vincent’s Hospital, Emil never regained consciousness. At just 35 years old, his life was tragically cut short. His funeral was held at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Portland, where members of the Mazamas Winter Skiing Club honored him.
Suzette, however, refused to let Emil’s death end their dream.
Suzette Franzetti’s Determination
For seven years after Emil’s passing, Suzette Franzetti continued running the Rhododendron Inn on her own. Fluent in seven languages, she managed the business with skill and resilience, maintaining the inn’s reputation as a premier mountain retreat.
However, in 1924, she made the decision to move on. She sold the inn and 20 acres to William and Julia Cash. The remaining land was subdivided into lots, many of which became home to Henry Steiner-built log cabins, which still stand today.
The Final Years of the Rhododendron Inn
Following Suzette’s departure, the Rhododendron Inn changed hands multiple times. While the inn continued to operate, each transition marked a new era for the property.
- In 1932, a fire destroyed the annex building.
- In 1943, new owner Thomas Rex renamed it the Rex Inn.
- In 1949, during a harsh winter cold snap, the inn caught fire and burned to the ground. Reports suggest that a blowtorch used to thaw frozen pipes may have accidentally ignited the blaze.
The Lost Landmark: What Remains Today?
The Rhododendron Inn once stood in a location just south of today’s Highway 26, near the pedestrian suspension bridge over the Zigzag River on the west side of town.
Today, all traces of the inn are lost. No structures remain, and nature has reclaimed the land where guests once danced, dined, and explored the wilderness. While the inn itself is gone, its legacy lives on in the history of Mount Hood tourism and the stories of those who passed through its doors.
Remembering the Rhododendron Inn
The Rhododendron Inn was more than just a hotel—it was a symbol of Mount Hood’s early tourism industry. Thanks to the vision of Henry S. Rowe, the craftsmanship of Lee Holden, and the dedication of Emil and Suzette Franzetti, it became a beloved destination for travelers seeking both adventure and luxury in the mountains.
Although time has erased the Rhododendron Inn, its story remains an important chapter in Oregon’s history.
Discover More Mount Hood History
If you love learning about Oregon’s past, check out more stories at MountHoodHistory.com.
Do you have memories or stories about the Rhododendron Inn? Share them in the comments below!