The Legacy of Emil and Suzette Franzetti and the Rhododendron Inn

Inn Keepers Emil and Suzette Franzetti

A Historic Inn Lost to Time

Tucked beneath the towering firs of Mount Hood’s forests, the Rhododendron Inn once stood as one of Oregon’s most celebrated mountain retreats. Over time, it became a well-known stop for weary travelers, outdoor enthusiasts, and adventure seekers. Although the inn is now gone, its legacy remains woven into the region’s history.

Among the individuals who shaped its story, Emil and Suzette Franzetti stand out. Their journey was filled with ambition, hospitality, and resilience. They turned the Rhododendron Inn into a thriving mountain getaway. However, tragedy eventually struck, leaving behind a story of perseverance that helped define early tourism in Oregon’s Mount Hood region.

The Rhododendron Inn - Emil and Suzette Franzetti

The front of the old Rhododendron Inn

A Hotel in the Wilderness

The Rhododendron Inn was not originally the Franzettis’ creation. In 1905, Henry S. Rowe, a former Portland mayor, established the inn on 160 acres near the Zigzag River. His vision was to create a peaceful retreat for city dwellers in search of fresh air and mountain solitude.

To make this dream a reality, Rowe enlisted the help of Lee Holden, Portland’s fire chief at the time. With his assistance, the rustic yet elegant lodge took shape. As road conditions improved, more visitors arrived, and the inn’s popularity soared. Eventually, it became a well-known stop for those traveling toward Mount Hood.

By 1912 its ownership changed. Recognizing the inn’s potential, two seasoned hoteliers, Emil and Suzette Franzetti, stepped in to elevate its status.

The Rhododendron Inn - Emil and Suzette Franzetti

The Rhododendron Inn Interior

Emil Franzetti: A Chef for Kings

Born in Lugano, Switzerland, Emil Franzetti was not just an innkeeper—he was a renowned chef. His career took him across Europe, where he trained in some of the finest hotels. Over time, his skills became so refined that he even cooked for the King of Italy.

In 1905, Emil immigrated to the United States, determined to advance his career. After working in New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C., he settled in Portland. There, he became the head chef at The Quelle, a famous restaurant celebrated for its crawfish dishes.

The Rhododendron Inn - Emil and Suzette Franzetti
The Rhododendron Inn 1930

Despite his success, he longed for something different. For this reason, he and Suzette purchased the Rhododendron Inn in 1912. Their expertise and hospitality transformed the lodge into a premier mountain retreat.

A Premier Mountain Retreat

Under the Franzettis’ leadership, the Rhododendron Inn flourished. They expanded and enhanced the property, turning it into a highly sought-after destination.

Upgrades and Attractions:

  • A dance hall that hosted lively gatherings.
  • A spring-fed swimming pool for summer relaxation.
  • Tennis and croquet courts for sports enthusiasts.
  • Bridle paths and hiking trails, providing access to the surrounding forests.
  • Additional cottages and tent houses to accommodate more guests.

Emil’s warm hospitality made the inn unforgettable. Often, he personally caught fresh trout for guests, ensuring every meal was authentic and memorable. He was also an artist. The inn was decorated with his paintings. Furthermore, his world-class cuisine and welcoming personality helped solidify the Rhododendron Inn as one of Oregon’s most popular retreats.

Tragedy Strikes

While the inn thrived, misfortune struck the Franzetti family. On November 17, 1916, while traveling near Zigzag, Oregon, Emil’s car skidded off the road and overturned. A passing farmer eventually found him, trapped beneath the wreckage.

Rescuers rushed him to St. Vincent’s Hospital. Tragically, he never regained consciousness. At just 35 years old, Emil Franzetti passed away, leaving behind a thriving inn and a grieving wife.

His funeral took place at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Portland. To honor his memory, members of the Mazamas Mountain Climbing Club, of which he was a member, attended the ceremony. His loss devastated the Mount Hood community. Despite this, the Rhododendron Inn remained a beacon for travelers.

Suzette’s Determination

Although Emil was gone, Suzette Franzetti refused to let the Rhododendron Inn decline. Fluent in seven languages, she managed the business alone for seven more years.

Under her strong leadership, the inn continued attracting visitors. However, by 1923, she decided it was time to move on. She sold the Rhododendron Inn and subdivided much of the surrounding land.

Because of this, many properties in the area became home to Henry Steiner-built log cabins. These structures further enriched the architectural history of the region.

Franzetti Cabins, Rhododendron Oregon.
Franzetti Cabins

The Final Years of the Rhododendron Inn

Following Suzette’s departure, the inn passed through multiple owners. Each transition marked a new chapter, but the original spirit of the place remained.

  • In 1932, a fire destroyed the annex building.
  • In 1943, new owner Thomas Rex renamed it the Rex Inn.
  • In 1949, a blowtorch accident caused a fire, reducing the inn to ashes.

Today, the site where the Rhododendron Inn once stood is barely recognizable. It lies just south of the modern highway, near the suspension bridge over the Zigzag River. While no buildings remain, the memories endure.

The Rhododendron Tavern - Emil and Suzette Franzetti
The Rhododendron Tavern

The Lasting Legacy of the Franzettis

The story of Emil and Suzette Franzetti is not just about a lost inn. Instead, it stands as a testament to resilience, passion, and the pioneering spirit that shaped Oregon’s early tourism industry.

Though the Rhododendron Inn is gone, its impact remains. The Franzettis’ dedication helped develop the Mount Hood Highway, strengthening Rhododendron’s identity as a premier travel destination.

Next time you pass through Rhododendron, Oregon, take a moment to reflect. Picture the grand inn that once stood among the trees—its dance halls filled with music, fireplaces crackling with warmth, and Emil himself preparing fresh mountain trout for a guest.

Although time has erased the Rhododendron Inn, the spirit of Emil and Suzette Franzetti still lingers in the heart of Mount Hood’s history.

Do You Love Mount Hood History?

If you enjoyed this story, explore more forgotten tales of Oregon’s past on MountHoodHistory.com.

Have memories or stories about the Rhododendron Inn? Share them in the comments below!


Arlie Mitchell Barlow Road’s last Tollgate Keeper.

Arlie Edward Mitchell, 89, thought to be the last living Barlow Road tollgate keeper, dies June 1. (1976)

Mitchell died in Gresham after an extended illness. Services were held Monday with internment at Lincoln Memorial Park.

In his later years Mitchell was well known for his recollections of operating the Barlow tollgate. He was present in 1970 when the tollgate near Rhododendron was dedicated.

He recalled that it was his duty during his period as a gatekeeper from 1906 to 1908 to keep track of the people, animals and wagons that passed through the gate.

That included counting sheep, flocks of them brought across the Barlow’s route over Mt. Hood. Mitchell recalled one flock of sheep that numbered about 3000.

He liked to tell the story of the Indian woman so fat that she got stuck in the small gate. Everyone had a good laugh including her Indian companions who teased her before helping her out of her predicament.

Mitchell was born Dec. 6, 1886, the son of Stephen and Ellen Mitchell, on a farm near Sandy.

He attended a public school two miles from his home and went to work at an early age in sawmills and logging camps. For several seasons he worked with Lige Coalman as a guide on Mt Hood.

He was widely known as a builder. In 1908 he helped build the first grade and high school in Sandy and the Odd Fellows Hall. Years later he helped build Smith’s Garage and did some work on the Masonic Hall.

He spent four years in the Forest Service building and maintaining telephone lines. He traveled by saddle horse with a pack horse to carry his tools, tent and personal belongings, cooking his meals over a campfire.

Mitchell joined the Navy in 1917 eventually making 16 crossings from New York to Europe. He served in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France and remembered the great cheering for “The Yanks” on Armistice Day in Belfast.

Mitchell served aboard the captured German vessel, “Emporator”, which was pressed into service as a troop ship and transport. Eventually he was transferred to a destroyer travelling through the Panama Canal.

He was fond of telling about a week’s stop in Mexico where he swapped an old pair of dungarees for a bunch of bananas.

Following his discharge. from the Navy Mitchell worked on bridges at Zigzag River znc Sill Creek. He buillt many summer homes including his own.

In 1928 he married Anna Ringness. A few years later he drew a homestead in Tule Lake, Calif., where the couple lived a year building a house and farm home for his brother, Harry, who survives him. Also surviving is another brother, John, of Sandy.

after “proving up” the homestead the Mitchells moved back to the Faubion area on Mt. Hood. He became treasurer of the Faubion Summer Home Association and held office for at least 35 years. He also served several times as a director of the Welches School Board.

Mitchell is survived by his wife, Anna, Rhododendron; a son, Edward; a daughter, Ellen and four grandchildren.